Saturday, September 24, 2005

TurboGears

Sigh. It's been a long time since my last post.

Anyway, I've just discovered TurboGears. Looks like a really nice Web development framework - they even have a movie, just like Rails :-) Actually, the site calls it a "megaframework", the idea being that it isn't just another framework, but it's actually a combination of existing frameworks.

The demo (build a Wiki in 20 minutes) is really neat. Things I especially like:
  • It uses CherryPy, which is probably my current favourite web framework for Python.
  • AJAX support built in (via MochiKit)
The database support uses SQLObject, which is pretty cool, although it doesn't support Oracle, which is a shame from my POV. There are ongoing suggestions that Oracle support could be added to SQLObject, though - it seems to be mainly lack of Oracle experience from the current developers, and lack of Oracle experts offering help, that are holding this up. Of course, I could offer help, but I doubt that I'd actually be able to devote the necessary time...

The easy_install setup looks seriously neat. However, I'm still nervous about how it will work alongside my existing Python installation, which has CherryPy and SQLObject already installed as traditional bdist_wininst installers. But I've muttered enough about that on the distutils-sig, and I don't want to be a pain about it. Let's just say that setuptools hasn't really addressed integration with platform package management yet. But I do think that setuptools is the way to go, and now that I have TurboGears as a basis, maybe I can offer some actual help at last (I'm a package user, not a package builder, so I'm stuck until packages start being published which use setuptools).

Definitely one for my "must investigate" list.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking into TurboGears myself. You should give one I've found a try. Called Django.

You can get it here:
http://www.djangoproject.com

Its still quite new but its been in use out of the public domain on major news servers for quite a while. Worth a look I think.

September 28, 2005 1:09 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Driveragent Safe
Excellent posts to read keep it up and keep going on this way. And keep sharing these types of things Thanks
Waiting for the next post.

March 02, 2018 7:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glasswire Pro Activation Code
Excellent and nice article. when user want to get important information then visit our site.

March 02, 2018 7:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xvideoservicethief 1.7.1 Hd Apk

This is very much a work in progress whenever I find out about one who is more beautiful than any of these I will add her and kick out number ten Thanks for sharing the informative post.

March 02, 2018 7:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

World Cricket Championship 2 Apk Mod

I should say thank you very much for this thought. It gives me more knowledge on this issue.

March 02, 2018 7:05 pm  
Blogger njytr said...

reverseloaded
love this site.

December 16, 2019 3:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home